- Must have at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college in the United States or a comparable degree from a recognized institution of higher learning abroad.
(Current UIUC graduate students wishing to transfer into the PEEC program or previous PEEC graduate students who did not complete their degree but would now like to re-enter the program, should not submit an application or pay the application fee. Instead please contact the PEEC secretary at
If you are a current UIUC graduate student, wish to transfer into our program (i.e. change your curriculum) and use your course credits from your current program towards our degree, and are accepted into our program, the PEEC secretary will work with you to follow these
instructions for curriculum changes and transferring credit.
Please note that not all of your course credits may be eligible to be used towards a PEEC degree. If you are a previous PEEC graduate student who has not been enrolled in the last calendar year, wish to re-enter the program, and are accepted back into the program, the PEEC secretary will work with you to follow these
- Must have a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (A = 4.0) for the last 2 years of bachelor's degree work and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for previous graduate degree work.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test is not required for PEEC admission, but can be submitted to support your application.
- Naturalized citizens, permanent resident aliens, and legal immigrants may be required to furnish TOEFL or IELTS scores, depending on their countries of origin, their length of residency in the US, or the locations and media of instruction for previous institutions they have attended.
- Must possess the potential for success in advanced research, as documented in letters of reference (at least 3) from prior instructors or research supervisors and demonstrated in the applicant's "Statement of Purpose."
Additional requirements for international applicants:
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. International applicants must have a TOEFL score of at least 613 (paper-based test), 257 (computer-based test),103-104 (internet-based test), or an IELTS score of 6.5 (with a score of 6 or higher in all sub-sections) to be considered for admission. The TOEFL/IELTS scores must be less than two years old from the first day of class at the proposed term of entry in order to be valid. Older scores are not valid. Request that official TOEFL/IELTS scores be sent directly to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.